The project ‘LoRaWan’ was a project that was something else than we normally would do on my education. This was also the reason I felt like a had to do this when I had the chance. The project had one simple task: “Show the people the air quality in this classroom”. We chose this particular goal because we already complained about this a lot, but no one really did something to make it better. And the fact that we spend almost 6 hours a day in this room with 50+ people made me even more motivated. Especially on the Friday when I felt that the air inside the room was at his worst.

So we started, we already had all the hardware we needed, except for the sensor. We did a lot of research to get the best we could get, for the right price. First we looked at what we needed to ‘measure’ the indoor air quality (IAQ). The IAQ can be affected by gasses (including carbon monoxide, radon, volatile organic compounds), particulates, microbial contaminants (mold, bacteria), or any mass or energy stressor that can induce adverse health conditions. We bought a sensor that measures some of these gasses, and made a dashboard for it. This way people inside the classroom could see how ‘good’ the air quality was. 

Juni 2019 update: We now have around 10 plants in the room to improve the air quality. 🙂

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.